Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mac Vista!!!

I finally had a chance this evening to work on my new Macbook. I added 4GB of RAM ($80 from Newegg) and a huge 250GB internal hard disk (from Microcenter, $139) so I can multi-boot.

This new Macbook came with the latest Apple Leopard OS X and also included the Boot Camp software to enable you to install Windows XP or Vista on the Mac.

So now I have the best of both world - Mac OS for my photo/video imaging and studying needs, and Windows Vista for legacy Windows programs (man, I have already begun to use the term "legacy" on Microsoft!).

My next adventure is to install Ubuntu on the Mac...stay tuned.

3 comments:

JC said...

congrats on your new toy! I should use the word "toy." After all, this is supposed to be your work horse. I am actually thinking buying a iMac as well... should it be a mini? A MacBook is just too expensive.

Anonymous said...

Nice, I am going to purchase memory to upgrade my Mac Mini too. My next goal is to create my webpage, and get Windows running in parallel as well (so I can get those legacy VPN clients work in Mac and other applications needed for the study). Yeah.. I have my tablet PC, but when I at home ... I like staring at my Mac ... just simply more fun to use a Mac! - WittyBB

Anonymous said...

JC:

iMac is more expensive than Macbook, unless you are looking at the 15-inch or the 17-inch model. I have the 13-inch Macbook which costs about $1300. My last laptop was purchased more than 3 years ago and it's showing its age. You can look at the Refurbished iMac from Apple, which is $150-$250 cheaper than brand new iMac, and that's what I am looking for next (after April 15th of next year).


Wittybb:

Boot Camp is nice, and I have had no problem in running both OSes. The reason why I didn't get a Mini was because I like to be able to do things when I am not home, so a laptop was my choice. If I want to run Mac OS on a home machine I will get the 24-inch iMac for my living room, which doubles as a very nice (and eye-catching) picture frame with music.