Saturday, July 7, 2007

Lucky Triple Seven?

Well, today is 7.7.07 and is viewed as a lucky day.



Hundreds of couples are getting married in the USA today but I am not sure if it's also happening across the globe (well, I am pretty certain that it is not happening in Hong Kong or China because we know what "7" means to us).

Anyway, so why "7" is lucky? I digged up some little facts from Google about "7"...

  • The reason for 7 being a lucky number symbolically (such as in the Bible) is because it represents the union of man and woman, since the number for women is 4 and the number for men is 3.
  • Seven Lucky Gods exist in Japanese mythology.
  • Being dealt three 7 cards in Blackjack is almost a sure win, as they would add up to 21. Seven is considered a lucky number in Western culture.
As for my lucky "7" event? Well, it happened only once and it was back in 1986 when I was playing a slot machine in a Macau's casino. I wasn't and am not a big fan of gambling; however on that day (in 1986) I happened to be just "old" enough to enter the casino and the next thing I knew I hit three seven's on a slot machine. I think I won like a $1000 buck but it was fun.

Do you have your lucky "7" story to share?

Have a lucky "sevens" day my friends!

5 comments:

Jasper222 said...

OMG!! 1000USD!?!?!!??!?!?!?! WOW.....

it's also a very lucky day for connie and me - nope, neither of us won mark 6 - but we went to Macau anyway XD

Jasper222 said...

btw, this is from appledaily today:


zoom

西方人愛講「Lucky Seven」、聖經指上 帝用6天創天地,第7天休息、光譜有7色、音階有7級,種種與7有關的天數,令西方人深信777是最幸運又神聖的數字 。美國婚禮業估計今日有6.5萬對新人結 婚,據悉人數更勝除夕及情人節。婚禮網站The Knot今天為31,000對新人辦婚禮,新人數目較去年7月8日周六的12,226對新人激增1.54倍。
中國也有7月7日天長地久之說,七夕更是牛郎織女相會之日,另外白居易《長恨歌》有幾句云,「七月七日長生殿,夜半無人私語時,在天願作比翼鳥,在地願為連理枝」。

CPMF14 said...

Thanks, Jasper! You just reminded me that rainbow also has 7 colors as well, so 7 is really lucky I guess.

And there is a 007 in England...

Okay, enough said, I am going to 7-Eleven and buy a $7 lottery ticket with every entry containing at least one "7".

David said...

So, did you win? Even Eva Longoria got married to Tony Parker on 7/7/07.

Anonymous said...

The Japanese 7 lucky gods are not all Japanese. Some are them are from China or India
http://japansugoi.com/wordpress/japans-seven-lucky-gods-of-fortune-beer-and-anime/